If you’re looking for a fun and creative way to decorate your phone case, then you’ve come to the right place. Acrylic paint is a versatile kind of paint, meaning it can be used on pretty much anything.
Sometimes we don’t find that perfect phone case we are looking for, so what better way to really personalize it than with acrylic paint. But, can you use acrylic paint on a phone case?
The answer is yes! You can definitely use acrylic paint on a phone case, but it needs to be properly primed and sealed in order to last. In this article we go over everything you need to know to get started!
How Do You Paint a Phone Case with Acrylic Paint?
If you love painting, and are looking for a fun and different type of phone case, here’s your chance to get creative with it. A store-bought case might be quicker, but with personalizing it you can turn it into anything you set your mind to!
That being said, what are the practicalities of painting a phone case with acrylic paint? Well here are a few tips and tricks that you can follow to ensure you get the smoothest and brightest finish on your DIY phone case.
For starters, I highly recommend Arteza acrylic paints. They’re bright, long-lasting and come in different metallic styles as well. You’ll also need some basic Scotch tape, a paintbrush, and a heat gun, if you want the paint to dry faster.
In theory, all you really need is a phone case and any sort of acrylic paints. However, there are a few ways to take your DIY project to the next level. Here are a few tips:
- Prepare your phone case by wiping it down with rubbing alcohol before you start painting. This will help the paint stick more firmly and evenly.
- A useful tip is that if you get a clear, see-through case, it’s preferable that you paint on the inside of the case rather than the outside. This way you can protect the paint job from the elements and prevent it from flaking or scratching off.
- If you’re looking for your colors to stand out, add a primer like this one, to the case before you paint it. This ensures that you have a smooth and even surface to work with.
- You don’t have to be limited to just paint – you can add on some cut-outs or stickers along with the acrylics. A lot of people even use glitter for that awesome sparkle. Whatever you feel speaks most to you and about you!
Acrylic Paint Phone Case Designs
Apart from applying a coat of acrylic paint sealant, if you’re looking for a cheaper DIY way to do this, you can even take clear nail polish and seal the paint with a few coats of that. This of course isn’t as guaranteed as an actual sealant, but it does the job.
Thinking of painting your phone case, but having a complete creative block for ideas? Here a few suggestions to get your ideas flowing:
- Gold geometric designs. If you don’t want to commit to drawing something too elaborate, you can keep it simple with some minimalist golden geometrics that are trending right now.
- Turn your case into food-ception. Make it a realistic rendition of waffles, candy floss, skittles, etc.
- Paint your favourite movie poster or superhero logo.
- Go for the classic floral design. You can even seal in some real preserved flowers into your paint. (I personally have done this, and it’s truly a one of a kind!)
- Write your most loved quote or motto you live by for daily inspiration.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Of course, your phone case can be anything you want it to be, which is the beauty of painting it yourself.
How Can I Prevent the Paint from Flaking?
Acrylic paint is a water based paint, so it is prone to flaking. Luckily, everything we paint can be preserved with a sealant. Krylon has great spray on acrylic paint sealers. This protects it from flaking, and even UV rays that discolor the paint.
Another way to help prevent flaking is to protect the paint by painting on the inside of a clear phone case. A bonus for this method is that the outside of the clear phone case will give the illusion of a clear and glossy overcoat on your paint.
How Do You Get Acrylic Paint off a Phone Case?
Whether you made a mistake on your project, or accidentally got paint on your phone case, the good news is acrylic paint will easily come off. Because acrylic paints are water based, they can be removed with either water or rubbing alcohol.
If the paint is still wet it’s much easier to remove. It can simply be done with water and a towel. If it has dried, I recommend letting it soak in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes. For best results use 91%-99% alcohol.
Next, you want to remove any paint that didn’t dissolve from the rubbing alcohol with a scraper. Paint scrapers are great because they don’t scratch the surface of your project, and can be reused. I highly recommend this silicone paint scraper. If the area you’re trying to remove is very small, you can also use your fingernail to scrape the paint off.
After you scrape, there might be a little reside from the paint that’s coming off. You can further assist the process by applying a little but of oil to the paint. This will help loosen any stubborn areas. Then, use the scraper until it all comes off.
If the paint is extremely stubborn and just wont come off, you can then use acetone to remove the paint. Keep in mind that this might also remove some of the phone case’s actual paint as well. If it is a clear or silicone case, then you should be fine. Also, acetone burns through pretty much everything, so be careful not to get it on your table or other area near your project.
In summary yes, you can paint your phone case with acrylic paint. Just make sure that you use one of the above methods of protecting your beautiful design from flaking or getting damaged. Otherwise, your new acrylic painted phone case is only limited by your imagination!
Don’t forget to check out my other articles for all your acrylic painting Q’s & A’s. Happy painting!